Seven. It’s the fourth prime number and the number of days in a week. It is also the number of Chakras and the atomic number of Nitrogen, the most abundant element in the Earth’s atmosphere. Whether you give this particular number any profound meaning or not, we all witnessed yesterday the power of seven. That’s right, Wimbledon fever hit an all time high yesterday as Andy Murray fought a tension filled match against the World No.1 ranked Tennis player: Novak Djokovic. In case you were wondering, the significance of the number seven lies in Murray playing his seventh Grand Slam final… on 7/7 and won (that’s right you guessed it) 77 years after the last Brit man won.
Point is, as a mathematician, I love any excuse to analyse numbers! I should point out here that I am only 66.7% mathematician and that the other 33.3% of me is an astronomer, course-speaking. When you make that choice or choices about the course you want to study at university, it is something not to take light-heartedly. For me personally, it took me a several months to decide what I wanted to get a degree in. For others, it may be that circumstances arise which means you take an opportunity that you initially were not that fond of and it all ends up working out. I found that, when trying to make the decision, the most important aspect was enjoyment. I had always loved every subject (maybe I didn’t ‘love’ P.E. – that might be a bit of a stretch) but I found that during my A-Levels, I always chose to do my Maths homework first as there was something therapeutic and dare I say it, enjoyable about solving equations or differentiating or integrating. Thus I had my light bulb moment and knew that Mathematics was what I wanted to live and breathe for the next three years of my life. It was important for me to study a course that I could relate everyday things to, from calculating the new price of a dress on sale to working out where in the night sky I could see the ISS (International Space Station) fly by.
So here we are. Having just completed my second year studying Mathematics with Astronomy, I am now home for Summer and actually experiencing a hot climate in the current heatwave. As the new mathematics blogger, I will be delving into the life of a crazy mathematician/astronomer and all the things I get stuck into at university both course and non-course related. Please feel free on any post to comment below any questions or ideas about university or the subject matter. I will observe the significance of mathematics in current affairs as well as tell you more about all the opportunities university life presents you with.
Oh, I forgot to mention, seven in binary code is ‘111’ and this happens to my first post, no? Okay well, maybe that’s reading a bit too much into it.