How “Interest”-ing

When choosing which modules to take this semester, I had to think carefully about which ones would help me the most in everyday life. The reason for this is that I have finally decided what I want to be when I grow up… wahey! (Stay tuned to find out what the decision is) In other words, I had no particular preference for certain topics so opted for the ones that would a. be most manageable and b. were interesting.

I first chose a statistical module called ‘Generalised Linear Models’ which follows on from a second year stats module I did called ‘Linear Statistical Models’ (it does what it says on the tin) and thought, as I enjoyed that module and did well in it – it would be nice to follow it up and see how linear models progress. If you like stats, you would love this module! It’s really nice doing a module that involves a lot of maths but has real world applications. For example, a lot of the examples we have been using are based on medical experiments and determining – if one exists – relationships between variables. This is so good for seeing and applying statistical models to things that help us in real life, for instance whether taking Vitamin C tablets can help cure the common cold (results of the hypothesis test were that there is an association between the two – in case you were wondering).

The other module I ended up choosing after a lot of indecisiveness, was Introduction to Actuarial Mathematics. I am really enjoying this module! If you were to ask any of my friends or coursemates, they would tell you without hesitating that I don’t really like anything finance-related but it’s really good learning things in a module that are going to help in everyday life too. Learning how different types of rates or mortgage repayments work is (no pun intended) interesting – it is also really useful to know how to perform such calculations i.e. know to stay away from store cards which often have hefty interest rates. It just goes to show that there is so much variety within a course at university – regardless of which course you choose and by the time you’re in your final year, you can ‘specialise’ in a certain area.

Choosing modules is something everyone encounters when studying a course at university. Sometimes it works in your favour so you have the ability to pick a module you know you will enjoy but at the same time, it can be really hard to decide if you’re indecisive (like me) or want to do more modules than you are allowed to. The best way I have found to decide is to look at three main things: how the module is assessed, how the module runs (i.e. will there be just lectures or seminars etc) and of course, whether you will enjoy the content – when you love something, it makes working hard at it a lot easier!

Pamela

About Pamela

Pamela graduated from the University of Leicester and is no longer blogging for this site. Pamela was in her third year of university, studying Mathematics with Astronomy. From learning about supermassive black holes to calculating statistical models for big firms, her course really covers anything you could ever imagine that is maths related!

View more posts by Pamela

Subscribe to Pamela's posts