Post Exam Trauma

This Monday, the Maths Department released our first term results online. I cannot describe to you how intense the day was. How one page resulted in a whirlpool of emotion for me and my peers. I am pleased to say that I was delighted with my results.

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for some of my peers. Do you know how awful it is to watch your friends cry in misery because of their results? It makes you grateful that you are not in their shoes but at the same time, you can share that pain with them. I think most students have experienced a (at the very least) dissatisfying results day. For those people who are still feeling the aftereffects, I hope this blog can help you move forward quickly. Here are my tips:

• No more waiting – You know it’s not often rejection that’s difficult to deal with but the possibility of rejection. Basically, you have completed the waiting game. Now at least all that suspense is over.

• You know what you need – Whether you want a first or a 2-1, these results have given you an idea of the work level you should put in this semester. Think of it as direction.

• Failure is how we learn – I know it’s horrible to hear, and although I am not a religious person, I believe things happen the way they should. Maybe not achieving your desired grades happened so you could self reflect on your revision methods and motivations.

• Be proud – You’ve completed a whole semester. People really undervalue how difficult their subject is so appreciate your talent and skills, they will only improve as time goes on.

• Most importantly – grades do not define you – Your results are a portion of your individual self. What about your personality? Work experience? Confidence? Extra skills? They all add up to you so do not think that poor grades will set the tone for the rest of your life. You are in control.

I hope many of you will not have to take these tips because you are happy with your results. Whatever the outcome, graduation is on the brink for all of us and I expect to see every third year student there.