New Year, Same Me, But Different

So… 2019. To be quite honest I thought it would never come. For me, 2018 has been a long and tough year for various reasons, the main one being: I don’t cope well with change. Lots of things have changed since the beginning of 2018; some good, some bad, some just different. I won’t go into everything because we’ll be here for hours, but I thought I’d look back on some of the main things that sculpted my year, before looking to 2019.

January brought the first placement of my medical degree, what a daunting thought. This is where medical students are let loose in a hospital to gain hands-on experience. It was terrifying but amazing. Gone were the days of sitting in a lecture theatre for hours, learning all the theory; now we were actually getting to do real doctor stuff. If I didn’t know before, this is what fully cemented the fact that I want to be doctor and I will get there eventually.

Unfortunately, due to the nature of our course this year, our End of Year 3 exam fell at the end of the summer holidays… deeming it to no longer be a holiday. As you will probably remember, the weather we had last summer was incredible, so despite drowning in revision, my friends and I made the most of this weather by hosting BBQs and revising outside where possible. It wasn’t quite a relaxing break in the Caribbean but you know, we made the best of a not so great situation.

In September I started an intercalated master’s degree in medical research. Four months on, I still can’t quite believe I’m actually doing it. It is SO different from the Medicine course and was therefore a lot to acclimatise to. I am now fully responsible for how I spend my time, with very minimal teaching and therefore timetable. This was a shock to the system because we’re used to being told what and where we’re supposed to be every day. As much as it was hard to adapt to initially, I am very grateful to have been thrown into this deep end because it will benefit me a lot in the future and it gives a sense of freedom. There was also the introduction of these things called deadlines??!! As a medical student, we don’t have coursework to do, and therefore don’t have deadlines to adhere to, so this was very alien. However, I work best when I have a goal, so this actually works very well for me. I have now successfully mastered RefWorks, thank goodness for technology!

December brought me here, to this job, and I absolutely love it. I’ve always had a passion (obsession) for social media and have thought a lot in the past about making my own personal blog, but never gotten around to it. There is also the fear that no one will ever read it. So, when I saw this job advertised, I thought it was perfect, doing something that I knew I would love, learning new skills and hopefully helping someone in making the decision to come to UoL. My advice when it comes to opportunities like this is: you’ve got nothing to lose, just go for it.

2018 brought lots of positive, but also lots of negative things into my personal life. I’m still struggling with the negatives but as cheesy as it sounds, they have helped me to grow as a person and my resilience is now sky high. It’s the hard times we go through that help us to realise that we will make it through the day, through the week, through the year, no matter how awful it seems at the time. I have certainly learnt that this year. I am forever grateful for my amazingly beautiful friends and family that have got me through… I have no doubt they will continue to be their gorgeous selves and make 2019 the best it can be.

My New Year’s resolution is to love myself for who I am; don’t let anyone dull your sparkle. I hope this year is everything you want it to be and more.

As someone once said: “You do you, Hun.”.

Kess x

Kess

About Kess

Hey, I’m Kess, a fourth year Medical student, currently completing an intercalated Master’s degree in Medical Research. When I’m not doing uni work, I love spending time with friends and family, cooking (and eating), reading, going to the gym and dancing as a member of the Dance Performance Society. I love living in Leicester so expect to see a lot of posts about the best bars and restaurants in town, along with my personal experience of living as a student; plus a little bit thrown in about studying and how to survive the life of a Medical student!

View more posts by Kess

Subscribe to Kess's posts