Year Abroad Choices Confirmed!

Having visited Paris earlier this month, I couldn’t have been more excited to find out that I am going to Paris next year for my Year Abroad! We recently got our choices forms back and I was over the moon to have been allocated to the Université Paris 7 Diderot and the Universidad Compultense in Madrid.

Spending 6 months in 2 capital cities will certainly be a stretch financially as compared to Leicester’s reasonable living costs, I will be paying a lot more abroad. Some initial accommodation research has told me that instead of the £266 I pay a month for my shared house here, in Paris, I’d be lucky to get anything cheaper than 450 to 500 Euros a month for a tiny flat! Looks like now is the time to be making savings for the most exciting year yet.

Now our choices are confirmed, I feel more nervous than ever. There are over 74,000 students who study at the Universidad Compultense in Madrid so I will be a small fish in an enormous pond instead of bumping into friendly faces every 5 minutes at Leicester (which is roughly 4 times smaller in terms of student size). BUT my boyfriend bought me the Lonely Planet’s guide to Spain for Valentine’s Day and I’m going to make it my mission to forget fear, get to know plenty of new people and try to visit each of the 28 must-see sights that they suggest in the guide.

Here are a few photos of Paris from the weekend I spend there with the Modern Languages Society at the start of the month. There will surely be many more to follow when I go on my Year Abroad!

Eiffel Tower by night- We went right to the top and it was freezing!

Arc de Triomphe on a cloudy day

View of Parisian streets from the top of the Arc de Triomphe

Jo

About Jo

Jo has now graduated from the University of Leicester.

View more posts by Jo

Subscribe to Jo's posts