Use It or Lose It

This is one of my dad’s favourite mantras when it comes to revising and retaining information; if you don’t use it, it will simply fall by the wayside and be forgotten. The ‘it’ in question that I am so desperate not to lose is my foreign language speaking abilities as very soon be my main mode of communication.

So how can one enjoy a 3 month long summer, without practising in language classes and still retain their language skills? A few things I have been doing to keep it all ticking over are:

1. Following lots of foreign newspaper accounts on Twitter (El País, Le Monde and Le Huff Post are all good ones.) This way whenever I read my Twitter feeds (very regularly, at-least 3 times a day) I am reading French and Spanish without realising I am doing so. Whenever I see a word I don’t know, I look it up. Today I have learned that ‘vengador’ means avenger in Spanish!

2. Leaving my grammar books in the car so that I do a little bit of revision when I’m on my way to various places! Yesterday I revised Y and En in French which I always struggle with.

3. Watching French television. Well, I say this but I haven’t actually done it yet. I intend to get into Les Revenants/The Returned but I’m very easily scared so need to work up the courage before I do this!

However you choose to do it, make sure you do some work over the summer as it will pay off greatly in September time!

Jo

About Jo

Jo has now graduated from the University of Leicester.

View more posts by Jo

Subscribe to Jo's posts