Trip to Madrid

This time last week I was waking up in the Hotel Convención, ready to enjoy a day of sight seeing in Madrid! The trip was a birthday present from my boyfriend and we had a long weekend there. I was really excited to visit the city as I have never been to Madrid before and it is where I will spend the second half of my Year Abroad. I am feeling much more acquianted with my future home now!

We had 3 whole days there and we really made the most of them, seeing all the main touristy sights.

The Palacio Real, Spain's equivalent of Buckingham Palace!

The Palacio Real, Spain’s equivalent of Buckingham Palace!

We also visited a few art galleries as I particularly wanted to see Guernica painted by Picasso. Unfortunately, photos of Guernica are not allowed to be taken but this is a link to the painting: Guernica.

We were however bemused by some of the other exhibits in the Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofia. Such exhibits included a large free-standing hay bale and an empty, bright yellow room. Each to their own I guess but I didn’t really understand the art in these works!

Hay bale!

Hay bale!

Yellow room

Yellow room

As-well as eating lots of yummy food and doing some shopping, we also visited the campus of my future university, la Universidad Complutense. It was absolutely huge but as it was summer, completely deserted. It is strange to think that the next time I am there, there could be up to 80,000 fellow students milling around the campus.

Me by the sign of my new University languages department

I loved the weekend away and it has made me even more excited to live in Madrid next February. Have you been to Madrid before?

Jo

About Jo

Jo has now graduated from the University of Leicester.

View more posts by Jo

Subscribe to Jo's posts