¡He llegado! I have arrived!

I have officially spent 6 days in Madrid but it feels like I could have been here a lifetime already as I already feel very settled in my new home.

I live with 4 other girls, 2 French, 1 Swiss and 1 English in the La Latina area of Madrid which is very near to the city centre but not quite so busy which is really nice. We speak French a lot at home which has been really good for me to keep it up but I am speaking it so much that it is starting to creep into my Spanish! Hopefully, once lessons start (tomorrow) I will be hearing and speaking more Spanish so I will be less confused!

Arriving in a new country makes you realise how easy we have it at home where we know the system- how to get a transport pass, where to get the best deals on SIM cards etc. However, thanks to my housemates who have already been here a few months, I was lucky enough to have their advice on how to get a metro subscription and what SIM to get. I arranged a meeting at the metro station to get my travel pass and I went there yesterday with a photocopy of my passport and it was done! Much easier than when I was in Paris and it took 3 weeks. Then I bought a SIM from Vodaphone and for 10 Euros a month, I have unlimited calls and texts to everyone else on the same Vodaphone tariff and also enough internet so that I can use Whatsapp to speak to everyone else on the go.

Doing these things are all small victories that really help me feel settled here. University starts tomorrow so I am a little apprehensive to start classes but fortunately we have 2 weeks to try classes before finalising what will we study so I will let you know how that all goes. Have you ever been to Madrid?

Jo

About Jo

Jo has now graduated from the University of Leicester.

View more posts by Jo

Subscribe to Jo's posts