Veintiuno- Friends, Cocktails, Sunshine and Pizza

At the start of this month (the 1st to be precise!), I turned the ripe old age of 21! It was bittersweet being away from home for this milestone birthday as it meant I wasn’t able to be with all of my family and friends there but my friends here more than made up for that and my mum was able to be here too so I was very lucky.
It was really lucky that the 1st of May is a Bank Holiday in Spain and the 2nd is one in Madrid so this meant that I had no Uni on Thursday/Friday and therefore had a 4 day birthday weekend! I had even more luck that several of my lovely Leicester friends who are studying abroad in Spain at the moment came to Madrid to see me and celebrate with me.

Puerta del Sol

We spent the Thursday doing some sight-seeing once everyone had arrived and it was a perfect day in the sunshine. We had mojitos from a stall outside the Opera House here at 3pm (well you’re only 21 once) and walked through the centre of Madrid to see Plaza Mayor, Puerta del Sol and Plaza de Cibeles. After a glass of Tinto de Verano on a roof-top bar, it was time to go home to get glammed up for dinner.

I booked a table at a pizza restaurant I have been to once before here which is called Kilómetros de Pizza. The name (which I’m sure you have guessed means Kilometres of Pizza in English) is appropriate as they serve pizza there by the metre and you can order a 2 metre long pizza! As we were 24, we ordered THREE 2 metre pizzas with a variety of toppings and it was a sight I’ll never forget when they all came out, I’ve never seen so much pizza!

There were 6 metres of this!

There were 6 metres of this!

After a good night’s sleep on a full stomach, the next day was full of more sight-seeing including a picnic at Casa de Campo and some shopping on Gran Vía. On Friday night we went out to a club called Kapital which has 7 floors and a really eclectic range of music. We went from rooms playing dance music to Latino music to Flamenco music, it was a really fun and memorable night.

Before we went to Kaptial

Before we went to Kaptial

After the night out, we were all fairly tired the following day so we sunbathed in Retiro park and then it was time to say my farewells to all of my lovely visitors. I’m so grateful to my friends, flatmates and family who made my birthday so special and I will never ever forget turning 21 in Madrid. The weekend  has to have been the highlight of my time here so far!

Thank you for the best birthday ever

Thank you for the best birthday ever

Jo

About Jo

Jo has now graduated from the University of Leicester.

View more posts by Jo

Subscribe to Jo's posts