Alicante- Food, Castles and More Food!

Last Tuesday, I had my last ever class at the Complutense! So to celebrate this occasion, I made a trip to Alicante with my boyfriend to relax and recharge before starting revision for exams.

We chose to go to Alicante as it was somewhere new to us both and it was very reasonable to travel and stay there. I flew on Friday morning and Elliott caught the train from Barcelona and was patiently waiting for me at the airport when I arrived. From the airport, we navigated our way to the hotel we were staying at and this task really made it hit home how useful it is to be able to speak a foreign language. I know that many people speak English well but I always feel that people are more inclined to help you if you ask them questions in their mother tongue and people certainly did point us in the right direction to where we were staying when we asked in Spanish.

Upon arriving at our hotel, we were delighted to find that despite it being cheap, it was really nice and had one of those showers with a huge shower head on the ceiling. After a little bit of unpacking and freshening up, we went out for dinner. The main theme of this weekend was eating, eating, eating! I absolutely love to eat and I enjoy finding restaurants with good reviews on Trip Advisor and trying them out myself. The first night we went to a Mexican restaurant; I had fajitas and very nice they were too.

After a good night’s sleep we set off exploring with the aim of going to see the castle in Alicante. Of course the castle was on the top of a hill which meant that it was almost an hour of walking up before we got there. However once we did, the views of the city were worth it and I was glad I soldiered! As a reward for our morning of walking, we went to a curry house for lunch (not very Spanish I know but I have really been missing curry). This decision was the BEST of the whole weekend as for 10 Euros, we got a starter, main and drink and it was all delicious! After 4 months of not having one, onion bahjis have never tasted so good and I loved my curry too.

A long way to go to reach the top!

A long way to go to reach the top!

Trekking up the hill

Trekking up the hill

I was very sad to fly back to Madrid after spending the rest of the time on the beach/eating (of course) but the trip was a lovely break and now I just have the final push before my exams on the 12th, 13th and 18th of June. Good luck to anyone else revising for or sitting exams, we can do it!

Beautiful Alicante

Beautiful Alicante

Jo

About Jo

Jo has now graduated from the University of Leicester.

View more posts by Jo

Subscribe to Jo's posts