Life After Uni

For me, thinking about life after Uni is a strange strange thought. As I am studying Languages which is a 4 year course, I still have a year in Leicester filled with hard work and fun times to come but as you may have read in some of my fellow bloggers’ posts, this week has been Graduation Week at Leicester. Photo after photo of my friends looking gorgeous in their robes have been popping up on my Facebook timeline and I’m already looking forward to the day when I will graduate with my course friends.

So what happens after those amazing 3 (or several more depending on the course!) years of Uni? Some students choose to study a Masters and then a PhD qualification. But for many, suddenly, the focus switches from studying to working. I’ve already heard stories from my friends who have been applying for graduate scheme jobs about how many applications they did before they even got through to the online testing phase, let alone having an interview, let alone getting the job! I find thinking about this very scary as I’m not even sure what job I would definitely like to do yet. I will be researching graduate jobs more over the summer as applications start to open from September onwards for people like me who will graduate in June 2015. At the University of Leicester, there is a Careers Service that helps students with anything from writing CVs to mock assessment centres so it will definitely be worth going to speak to them if I need advice when I apply for jobs.

I’m glad I still have a year to properly plan the next part of my life but for everyone graduating this summer, congratulations on completing your degree and good luck on whatever’s next- be it continuing your studies, entering the world of work or anything else.

Jo

About Jo

Jo has now graduated from the University of Leicester.

View more posts by Jo

Subscribe to Jo's posts