The Careers Service at UoL

At Leicester, we’re lucky to have a Careers Service whose job it is to help the students with all things careers related- from general guidance, to giving feedback on our CVs, to providing mock assessment centres for us.

As mentioned in my last post, I’m really starting to think seriously about my future career but I’m still not certain of what jobs I will apply for. For this reason, I booked a telephone appointment with the Careers Service who I hope will be able to advise me on where I should focus my attention with regards to job applications. Until yesterday I was unaware that they did telephone appointments but I’m really pleased they do as I’m not based in Leicester over the summer.

Another event that the Careers Service organises is the annual Careers Fair. This year, the event is spread over 3 days and there are several employers attending who I really want to talk to. In particular, Santander interests me because one thing I’m sure on is that I’d like my future career to involve the languages I study for my degree and a multi-national organisation like Santander will have jobs for languages graduates.

Last year the Careers Fair was a huge success and over 87% of employers rated their conversations with students as excellent or good, saying that they were interested in recruiting 7/10 students they spoke to. Hopefully after some discussion with the Careers Service I will be more certain on which employers I would like to approach and in an ideal world, the conversations I have with employers could help me get a graduate job.

Jo

About Jo

Jo has now graduated from the University of Leicester.

View more posts by Jo

Subscribe to Jo's posts