Looking Forward

I can hardly believe it’s August already, when did that happen?! One thing you’ll start to realise at uni is that time goes by far too quickly – it seems like only yesterday I was arriving at Beaumont Hall as a frightened fresher, nervously clutching my hefty Spanish dictionary, yet here I am going into my final year of studies, almost three years down the line.

Following on from Jo’s post on UoL’s Career Development Service, recently I’ve been sorting my life out a bit and starting to think about exactly what I want to do after I graduate. One thing I’ve found when telling people that I study Spanish is that their immediate reaction tends to be ‘so you want to be a translator? An interpreter? Teaching?’ Of course, it’s a natural thing to assume but there are so many more career options for us bilingual bunch – in fact, the majority of language graduates tend to go in an entirely different direction.

I hope you’ve all been enjoying the Commonwealth Games! I only say that because out of sheer luck I managed to secure an internship in London this summer in the Sports Sponsorship and Marketing department of an international PR (public relations) firm. Although I’m not being paid for the work I’m doing, the experience is invaluable and I’m having such a great time! As a gym bunny and avid rower I already had prior knowledge of the sporting environment, so you can imagine how excited I was to work on brands such as Adidas, events like the Rugby World Cup 2015 and UEFA, I’ve even found myself liaising with the press!

Despite it being exhausting and unpaid, it’s been a fab insight into life after uni and what I can expect. I would fully recommend applying for internships and work experience in whichever industry takes your fancy during your holidays – publishing, journalism, HR, advertising, etc. Personally, I knew what I wanted to be when I grew up (other than being the next Jennifer Aniston) by the time I was 16 years old. PR is the industry for me and the last few weeks have only cemented that.

Katie

About Katie

Katie has now graduated from the University of Leicester. Hola, salut, ciao! I'm Katie and I'm a 4th year European Studies (Spanish and Politics) student. I spent my year abroad teaching in Spain. On top of my studies I love spending time with friends, rowing, shopping, nights out and nights in with rom-coms/plenty of chocolate and, of course, travelling!

View more posts by Katie

Subscribe to Katie's posts