Keep Calm and Carry On

I’m sure you’ve all guessed what this blog post is about. Today’s the day – A-Level Results Day 2014, for those of you who have just finished your A-Levels, this is the first day of the rest of your lives. I thought I’d take this opportunity to share my own experience as well as a few clearing top tips, so here goes…

18th August 2011. Despite it being almost three years ago, I will never forget my Results Day. There was absolutely no chance of any sleep the night before and I had absolutely no idea what to expect when I logged onto UCAS Track at 6.30 in the morning. Clearing. There’s no denying it, I was petrified and the thought of not going to university scared me. School can reassure you again and again and again but when the time comes and it’s real life, it doesn’t seem quite so straightforward. I collected my results from my school and thankfully had only narrowly missed out on my Firm and Insurance Choices, meaning I had a good set of results. After an incredibly stressful morning of ringing up universities across England I had three offers from three great universities. Obviously, I chose the University of Leicester and I can honestly say that I wouldn’t have had it any other way. I changed to a different course which allowed me to study more Spanish – absolutely vital for me, and by the next morning it was all confirmed – BA European Studies (Spanish & Politics), September 2011-July 2015. SWEET.

Three years later and I’m now working on the Clearing Call Centre for the second time, fielding any calls from those of you who might not have got the results you were hoping for…and some of you who might have done even better and find yourselves in Adjustment! I can promise you that whatever your results are and wherever you end up going to university, you will have the best time of your life and it will be the right university for you. Trust me!

Katie’s Keep Calm and Carry On Clearing Tips

1. DO NOT PANIC. Take a deep breath and sort out your plan of action as soon as you feel you can. The earlier you get started, the better – time is of the essence!

2. Browse like you’ve never browsed before. Log on to UCAS and scroll through your options – which universities are offering places for your course or similar? Which universities do you like the look of? I’d suggest making a list of your top 3-5 universities. RESEARCH.

3. Charge your phone. And your mum’s. And dad’s. Your phone is your best friend for the day – ring up EVERYONE. Double check with your Firm and Insurance Choices just in case they can offer you an alternative course, check your grades meet vacancy requirements and have your UCAS ID, phone number, email and grades ready.

4. Avoid social media. It’s not easy seeing your friends rejoicing/congratulating/whooping/celebrating whilst you’re going through clearing. Until you know what you’re doing, keep away from the likes of Facebook and Twitter.

5. Be proud. Whatever you do, you should be proud of what you’ve achieved. You’ve done great, A-Levels are a challenge and not an easy one at that. I can’t tell you how important it is to be proud of how you’ve done.

For those of you who are lucky enough not to have to go through clearing and have a place with your Firm, Insurance or even Adjustment Choice – congratulations and well done, your uni years will truly be the best in your life. Now have fun and enjoy the rest of your summer.

UCAS Exams Results Helpline: 0808 100 8000

University of Leicester Clearing Wesbite: www.le.ac.uk/clearing

University of Leicester Confirmation Line: 0116 229 7005

University of Leicester Clearing/Adjustment: 0116 373 6000

University of Leicester International Clearing/Adjustment: 0116 252 3040

Best of luck,

Ciao,

Katie

Katie

About Katie

Katie has now graduated from the University of Leicester. Hola, salut, ciao! I'm Katie and I'm a 4th year European Studies (Spanish and Politics) student. I spent my year abroad teaching in Spain. On top of my studies I love spending time with friends, rowing, shopping, nights out and nights in with rom-coms/plenty of chocolate and, of course, travelling!

View more posts by Katie

Subscribe to Katie's posts