Language Junkies

I’m a complete and utter language geek. The sound of a foreign language grabs my attention, I swoon over polyglots and the prospect of a long and difficult translation gets me excited. I’m a language junkie.

I am exaggerating …slightly. However, being a language junkie is nothing to be ashamed of: recent studies show that being geeky about grammar is actually good for our health!

After perusing the internet one evening, I found a really great video which discusses how learning and using a second language has positive effects on the brain and in particular the ageing process of our grey matter. Linguists’ brains are denser and more active in certain areas because we’re practising and using that area far more. It can also ward off brain-degenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer’s and Dementia, by five years.

I’d thought I’d share the video with you below!

Emily B

About Emily B

Emily has now retired from blogging. Hello! My name's Emily. I'm in my fourth year of a French and Spanish degree here at Leicester, which is also where I was born and raised. When I'm not working at becoming trilingual, I love horror films and travelling (I spent my year abroad in Colombia and France). Read my blog and feel free to ask me any questions about the year abroad, about the city of Leicester, or about studying Modern Languages at Leicester.

View more posts by Emily B

Subscribe to Emily B's posts