Excitement Grows

We have (at present) 7 full-time PhD students starting this October. Which is wonderful news. Last year the numbers were very down and that made it difficult to organise some of the things we were hoping to. With that many new students, helping hands will not be lacking! Of course, out of seven, we might get three that are willing to involve themselves in the department, but that’s a good number to add to what we currently have. Last year’s starters (though few) were very eager to help out in many ways, and the year before that pretty much everyone of the 9 starters were go-getters!

It’s important for our department. The university makes a lot about the Museum Studies department. I mean, other universities make a lot about our department. But when it comes down to it, I don’t think it’s the knowledge and skill and research that goes on here that makes us awesome. Rather, I think it’s the fact that we really are a close-knit community and we care about each and every student who is part of that community. It means we’re more involved, more caring and more forward thinking than a lot of university departments I’ve been involved in over the years.

And I guess that’s the most ringing endorsement I can give to anyone thinking of coming to Leicester for Museum Studies. It’s wonderful to be part of this atmosphere and each year, when the new students arrive, is an exciting time. The thrilling thing about being a PhD is you get that year after year (for 4 years). As an MA you are the new student, always, so that’s a bit different. But I love the people who are here with me and I feel much more supported and cared for then I would anywhere else (and the main reason I returned to Leicester).

So, there’s three weeks to go until the newbies all arrive and it will be an exciting time! And hopefully get me back into work again. Heaven knows this hasn’t been the summer (*cough*four months*cough*) for it.

Amy

About Amy

Amy has now graduated from the University of Leicester. Hello! I've just begun my third year of a full-time PhD here at Leicester in the Museum Studies department, though I'm originally from Canada. I graduated a few years ago from Leicester with my MA and couldn't wait to return for a doctorate. I am heavily involved in Social Media and manage the SM profile for the Museum Studies PhD Community. Of course, I enjoy weekend trips to museums, when I'm not doing work! I will be blogging about all the wonderful aspects of being a postgraduate student here at Leicester, fond memories of being a Masters student, and hopefully other things of some interest. I promise there won't be too much about museums!

View more posts by Amy

Subscribe to Amy's posts