This is officially my first post woooo!
I thought I would talk about something I am going through at the moment- about transitioning from first to second year, as I only have 4 weeks to go! We are currently in the process of wrapping things up, with 4 weeks left at my clinical placement which is at Glenfield hospital doing anaesthetics and surgery modules. I loved my time there, plus the friendly and supportive staff made it really enjoyable…I think I’m too comfortable now lol.
One downside is that there is no defining break between 1st and 2nd year, rather than a weekend to sleep on it and process the fact that you are no longer a little 1st year student any more 🙁 sad times. That’s why it can sometimes feel like a very long, continuous stretch of study and clinical placement. I’m starting to feel the increased responsibility on my shoulders especially as I will be starting at a new placement hospital in a new speciality, working with people I have never met before. OMG!!!
However, fret not for I have some tips I use to help get me through the year and stay somewhat sane:
- Don’t overexert yourself, whether that’s studying or working. Too much and you will burn out.
- Have a social life. (I sometimes dream about checking patients in at theatre reception…Chill out Aliyah). Sometimes it’s nice to just chill and unwind, take your mind off work and study- iced coffee and Netflix for the win.
- Get into the right frame of mind by refreshing your 1st year knowledge and perfecting the basics like Harvard referencing or setting up an intravenous drip, depending on your course lol .
- Prepare yourself by reading up on 2nd year taught content if you can.
- Don’t underestimate yourself. You got this far and with a bit of motivation and hard work you can get through it.
- Finally…DO NOT PANIC!
I hope these tips help you no matter what year you are in. Let me know in the comments how you’re getting on!
Good luck guys and remember to enjoy yourselves 😀