Shalom

Last week Leicester’s very own JSoc led a 3 day campaign aimed at teaching students about the Judaic culture. Supported by members from the Union of Jewish students (UJS), this gave students the opportunity to ask questions about aspects of Jewish life.

Team Jsoc.

Team Jsoc

Throughout the week the Jewish Society (Jsoc) organised a variety of activities, from inviting speakers to even hosting an interfaith lunch with the Islamic Society (Isoc). Their stall, located in Queens Hall, provided students with both delicacies and food for thought. My favourite was by far the Halva, a traditional sweet eaten throughout the Middle East. I was amazed to learn the many different rules in the preparation of food, which taught me the difference between Kosher (acceptable) and Trief (forbidden). This shared many similarities with my own religion of Islam, in where food ought to be cured correctly to become halal (acceptable), otherwise it is deemed haram (forbidden).

All in all, only through engaging with people from all walks of life can we learn to appreciate diversity in society. This refreshing experience enlightened me to the many similarities that exist between Judaism and my own Islamic roots. We should never be too afraid to ask questions, for this is only the only way we’ll ever get answers. I highly recommend attending events like these in the future, as they have the ability to educate and create bridges which will help overcome barriers to unity.

Salaam-Shalom-Peace.

Abshir

About Abshir

Abshir has now graduated from the University of Leicester.

View more posts by Abshir

Subscribe to Abshir's posts