It’s Not All Work & No Play – Trip to Sri Lanka

As I sit on the balcony of what used to be a Governor’s mansion in Sri Lanka, but is now a tourist-friendly hotel, gazing down at the deserted beach while the cool breeze rescues me from the blazing sun, I think not about the beauty, but rather I think to myself, “Is that sentence really necessary for my Ph.D.?”

After more than four days of traveling from Washington, D.C. to Istanbul, Turkey, and then to Colombo, Sri Lanka, I finally arrived at the hotel. As a distance Ph.D. student, having the freedom to travel is one of the main benefits for me. My supervisors have been kind enough to wonderfully guide me as I write my thesis, so the research is steadily becoming easier than I had originally imagined. And yet, it is still a mammoth task. I certainly realize that this travelling does not entirely help either! Two days without Internet, a third day sleeping at random times as I try to overcome jet lag, and a fourth day attending a chemistry conference (again without Internet) make it difficult to focus on what is important…my Ph.D.

And so, while the beauty of the beach tempts me to take a break and go for a swim, I am here in front of my laptop trying to incorporate my supervisors’ comments into my draft. Hopefully, before I leave Sri Lanka, my background, literature review, and other similar sections will be complete.

Sri Lankan Beach Sri Lankan Beach 2

Eugenie de Silva

About Eugenie de Silva

Hello everybody! I’m Eugenie, a seventeen-year-old, currently completing my PhD in the department of Politics and International Relations via distance learning. My PhD research focuses on Denial and Deception in the intelligence field. I'm originally from Manchester, England, but I now live in the United States where I work as a lecturer in public safety and write books and articles in the intelligence field. I hope to share my unique experiences as a teenager completing a PhD here at the University of Leicester.

View more posts by Eugenie de Silva

Subscribe to Eugenie de Silva's posts