First day of work experience as a teacher’s assistant

Had a brilliant first day helping out a year 4 class on Thursday and I will be helping out one afternoon a week for the rest of my time at uni.

The class has a mixture of ability and I really liked the way the teacher uses a variety of learning methods to try and help all students progress. Last week they had someone come in to do practical learning, involving role play and freeze frames, things I am very used to after doing drama A level. I went around and tried to encourage the kids to all get stuck in and focus on the task and there was a really great atmosphere in the class room. A few children in the class find it difficult to concentrate and so I was specifically aiming to spend more time with them. I did get along really well with ┬áthe class and I think they liked the fact I was younger than the rest of the teachers. I remember how I looked up to older students when I was younger so I hope I can motivate them with activities. I think next week we will be doing art work, which will be interesting as I cannot draw to save my life… I may actually hinder the kids with my lack of talent – stickmen may be on the cards I think :)!

Either way, I’m excited for my next shift there! It’s great getting some more experience also, particularly as I will be sending of my CV soon to various schools.

On another note, I have a very busy week ahead with uni work and paid work. I have just come back from a weekend back in London for my mum’s 50th birthday party in which I helped play chef/ waitress and so am now just going to relax for the evening and get myself ready for tomorrow.

Joanna

joanna

About joanna

Joanna graduated from the University in Summer 2013 and is no longer blogging for this site.

View more posts by joanna

Subscribe to joanna's posts