Just lately I’ve spent so much time in the library that I might as well move my bed in there and be done with it (welcome to third year!). I was in there the other day (second floor yellow zone, obviously) staring out across Leicester’s very orange skyline, trying to ignore the fact that everyone around me seemed to be being way more productive than me, when I thought, you know what? I could do some useful procrastination and write a blog post about this! So here it is, the result of my procrastination.
*Disclaimer: this post is satire so don’t be offended if one of the profiles fits your usual library persona. Also, I’m not judging anyone just merely observing*
- The not-so-secret eater: You think you’re being sneaky about it but I can hear you rustling your crisp packet under the desk from a mile away.
- The blatant eater: This person whips out their lunch and brazenly eats out in the open, for the entire library to see. This person isn’t fazed by the quiet patrol and I salute you, my friend.
- The stressed one: This person is characterised by loud sighs, violently throwing their heads back in desperation, and panicked looks permanently etched on their faces. You can do this!
- The chiller: This person is always on their phones and never seems to get any work done. They may also be seen staring out of the window a lot.
- The whispering friends: These friends think they’re being quiet and considerate but they might as well be talking in their usual voices. In fact, their usual voices might be quieter!
- The High heel wearer: Can be heard stomping across the solid floor even from the depth of the silent zones. Even if you can’t see them, you know they’re being given some dirty looks.
- The invisible person: Their coat, books and laptop have been there for three hours but they haven’t!
- The quiet patroller: Either they’re just really passionate about keeping libraries silent, or they realised there’s some good money to be made from this job!
So there you have it; the types of people I’ve been seeing frequently in the library. Let me know if I’ve missed any out! Also, which one are you? 🙂
P.s whilst we’re on the subject of the library, can we please stop with this madness? It’s not the smell of coffee that distracts me, it’s the desperate urge to be drinking one whilst I’m working but knowing I’m not allowed to that distracts me!