I’m sure by now you’ve managed to get through my top ten list of favourite psychological films (and if you haven’t – then what are you waiting for?!). So, I’m guessing you’d like to go outside for a change, yes?
Ah Les-tah city! Whether you’re here for the Summer because of an internship or you’re just here to spend time with your friends (cough, spend the summer away from your parents, cough), there’s plenty of things to do to keep the boredness at bay! Leicester may be a small city but believe it or not – it hosts an array of activities, and festivals during the Summer season. What’s good about these events is that they are either free or have a small entry fee – allowing for a cheap and cheerful Summer! So, why not grab your friends and get your adventure hats on?
Here is my top list of things to do in Leicester this Summer!
Best (and mostly free) Places to visit:
- Bradgate Park – take a hike up the hills to visit the Old John or bring a picnic and admire the deer!
- New Walk Museum and Gardens – a free museum for all, they tend to switch up the exhibitions every few months. But one thing always remains – the notorious Dinosaur ruins!
- University of Leicester Botanical Gardens – it’s a beauty.
- Rutland Waters –new for Summer 2018, head over to the Waters and experience their man-made beach.
- Foxton Locks – A cute little place to visit if you fancy a walk by the canals!
Festivals you cannot miss:
- Caribbean Carnival – Always the most anticipated festival of the Summer, the Caribbean Festival is bright and full of life! Catch it on the 4th of August
- PieFest – 28th-29th July in Melton Mowbray = the home of the pork pie. Make sure you enter this festival on an empty stomach, so you can chow down on all the treats they have to offer!
- Food Festival – every July – September, the city centre is packed to the brim with delicious food stalls. From churros to paella to Italian pastries = make sure you don’t miss it!
- City Festival – you can find stilt walkers, dancers, and more on the streets of Leicester; showing you the true beauty of the city. Starting from the 18th of August, it’s on for ten days!
- Leicester Pride – Another bright and lively festival to check out. Glitter and face paint is a must! Save the Date: September 1st, at Victoria Park.
- Ping! – Free Ping Pong tables in the Highcross all throughout the Summer.
- Ghost Walk – for those who are brave enough, join in on the spooky fun at Bradgate Park; one of the most famous haunted places in Leicestershire. For more info, visit: www.hauntedheritage.co.uk
- Phoenix Cinema – this place hosts a load of events in the Summer including: Future Aleppo – Mon 20 – Fri 24 Aug, 11am – 4pm daily – the combination of virtual reality and paper city models will have you wanting to make your own virtual city (which you’ll have a chance to if you stick around after the show!)
- Aqua Park Rutland – open until 23rd of September, this water park boasts trampolines, slides, balance bars, and so much more!
- Shedflix – Free popcorn, and a free movie? What’s not to love?! Head on over to the Shed’s facebook page to secure your tickets to their monthly free cinema night. This month’s movie is ET and is taking place on the 13th of July so grab a few of your mates and get down! (psssst it’s also 2 for 1 cocktails on the night)
Need to wind down after a long day of adventuring? Then head on over to these Student Friendly bars/pubs!
- Firebug (Sign up for a Firebug Card and get Happy Hour Drinks all day, every day)
- The Cookie
- Queen of Bradgate (Show your student ID for 50% off main meals, Monday to Friday from 12pm to 9pm)
- The Orange Tree
Let me know if you decide to check out any of these places.
See you all on the flipside!