International Women’s Day and What It Means for Feminism.

As some of you may know, yesterday (Saturday 8th March) was International Women’s Day, and I was happily surprised at the sheer amount of publicity it gained on social networking – women thanking their mothers, sisters and best friends for helping them to be the best versions of themselves dotted across my timeline on Twitter. However, grateful as I am to the amazing women in my life, I feel like this particular day marked more than just an appreciation to those lovely ladies, and instead demonstrated just how far feminism and female recognition within wider media has come.

The gradual, quiet, but very evolutionary concept of feminism seems to have steadily stepped out into the Western world’s view. With not only changes to attitudes towards sexual violence, an increased prominence of education for women worldwide and women from all ethnic backgrounds being able to speak openly about identity and acceptance within society, I feel that these past few years have demonstrated just how acknowledged feminists have become

I think it is fair to say that ‘feminism’ is often seen within the lines of negative connotations, and I feel that days like International Women’s Day reinforce the truth, that feminism is not a dirty word. It signifies a desire for equality between men and women, and it does NOT mean you hate men, or pretty girls with shaved legs who exert their sexuality in everyday life. In the same way that days such as IWD dismiss these uniformed opinions, the Oscars has carried the fight for equality as far as any major worldwide public display of strong females ever could. 12 Years a Slave actress Lupita Nyong’o’s tearful acceptance speech for best supporting actress has arguably gained the most publicity from the award ceremony yet, in which she stated that “no matter where you’re from, your dreams are valid,” and for which she has since become one of Hollywood’s most revered female actresses.

Although there may still be a way to go in this incomplete revolution for equal rights, days like IWD are most definitely a podium from which to start.

Amy-Rose

About Amy-Rose

Amy-Rose has now graduated from the University of Leicester.

View more posts by Amy-Rose

Subscribe to Amy-Rose's posts