Vegetarian fortnight to vegetarian 6 months…

A few weeks back I did a blog about trying something new and outlined that I was taking part in veggie fortnight. Considering meat made up quite a large part of my diet I thought this would be hard for me to do. However, I completed it really quite easily. At first it required a bit of thinking, buying a lot of new things from the shop and trying out new recipes, but in the end I loved it. In fact, it resulted in me practically become vegetarian (I no longer eat any meat when I am at university and only very occasionally have a bit at home). I have come across some fantastic food since I’ve done this so I thought I’d create a list of my 3 favourite vegetarian dishes in order to try and persuade some of you to try out being veggie.

1. Butternut Squash Lasagne.

I had never used butternut squash before I turned veggie (I know I’m not completely but it’s much easier to just say I FullSizeRendeam…), however having tasted this I feel like I have been missing out all these years! This is by far my favourite vegetarian dish I have tried, it is creamy, tomatoey (definitely not word) and full on delicious. It is a bit of a faff to make (as in there is a fair bit of prep involved) so I suggest making it at the weekend when you have a bit of time and sticking it in the fridge overnight so that you can just chuck it in the oven the next day. Here is the recipe: http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/516525/mary-berry-s-butternut-squash-lasagne. Good ol’ Mary Berry.

2. Veggie Spaghetti Bolognese

FullSizeRendEveryone loves a Spag Bol and in my opinion a meat free one is the tastiest. It’s the taste of tomato that you’re looking for in a Spag Bol, not the meat, so just substitute your beef mince for Quorn mince (and maybe add a bit of cheese on top) and you’ve got a great tasting veggie Spag Bol.

3. Sweet Potato, Chickpea and Spinach Curry.

Sweet potato tends to be quite an acquired taste, I’m not a great fan of it when it’s just on its own but I find it worksFullSizeRender really well in a curry. This curry was the first vegetarian dish I made and I went for it because it is very quick and easy to make. It is also very nutritious because the chickpeas give you protein and the rest is basically just vegetables. It is extremely tasty and you can cook up a big bunch and chuck in the fridge or freezer to keep for other days. http://www.jamieoliver.com/magazine/recipes-view.php?title=sweet-potato-chickpea-aamp-spinach-curry

So I hope this has opened your mind to trying some vegetarian dishes. If you have any questions or want some more recipes then as always just comment on this blog!

Olivia W

About Olivia W

I am Olivia and I study sociology. I am originally from Southampton but now live in the beautiful countryside of Norfolk. As well as being sociologically based my blogs will often surround topics such as the music industry, life as an identical twin and my life here at university.

View more posts by Olivia W

Subscribe to Olivia W's posts