How your degree actually works…

So there was me assuming that to get a certain degree classification when you’ve reached the end of your studying you just need to average out at that grade, i.e. to get a first you could achieve a range of 2:1’s and firsts but as long as they average out as 70% or above then you get that first. But I appear to have been wrong. I recently received an email from the sociology department which stated that there has been many enquires made about how degree classifications work and so they decided to clarify them in this email. As I understand it, your final grade is based on your best six modules from second and third year whereby they all need to be within a certain classification, for example if they are all above 70% then you get a first but if there are 4 above 70% and 2 at a 2:1 (between 60% and 70%) then you get a 2:1.

They did also state that there were other elements to it but this is basically what it boils down to and therefore if you’re aiming for a first then you need to aim to get six modules over 70% and for a 2:1 you need to get six modules between 60% and 70%.

I hope this clears up any questions anyone has about grades and classifications.

Olivia W

About Olivia W

I am Olivia and I study sociology. I am originally from Southampton but now live in the beautiful countryside of Norfolk. As well as being sociologically based my blogs will often surround topics such as the music industry, life as an identical twin and my life here at university.

View more posts by Olivia W

Subscribe to Olivia W's posts