Fodbold Fever

In case you’re wondering, ‘fodbold’ means ‘football’ in Danish.  It’s the most popular sport in Denmark, as it is in the UK.  I’ve recently been to two matches at Parken – the main stadium in Copenhagen.  The first match that I went to see was Denmark v Italy on the 11th of October in a World Cup qualifier.  On the 20th, I saw FC København play against AaB as a part of the Danish Superliga, which is the equivalent to the English Premier League.

Here’s a picture that I took of Parken stadium before I went in to see the national teams play:

Parken

Parken Stadium holds up to 38,065 people.  It was opened in 1992 and it was renovated in 2009.

Denmark v Italy was a fast-paced game that kept everyone on the edge of their seats.  In fact, it was so tense that after half-time, everyone was standing up.  By the time the game had started, the stadium was packed full of people and the atmosphere was great.

Here is the Italian team doing some stretches:

Italy team

This is not the most flattering photograph that I have taken.

This is the Danish team warming up:

Denmark team warming up

I was so concentrated on the match that I forgot to take a picture of the actual game.

Italy took the lead in the first half of the game, but Denmark scored the equalizer just before half-time.  After the break, Bendtner slotted another goal for Denmark.  It looked as though they could hold off Italy for long enough to win.

But just as the last three minutes of extra time were being announced, Denmark slipped up and Italy stole the equalizer from under their feet.  Our hearts sank at this moment and the whole audience seemed to let out one big gasp of disbelief.  Despite the anti-climax for the Denmark supporters, the match was a thrilling experience.  Unfortunately, I later found out that Denmark was unable to squeeze through to the play-offs because they were the worst runners-up out of all of the groups.

The second match that I went to see was cool but it wasn’t as much of a nail-biting experience as the last time.  One of my Danish friends was quietly supporting AaB in a crowd full of FC København fans.  I was happy to support my local team, so it was funny because it was a bit awkward to celebrate each goal next to my unimpressed friend.  In the end, FC København won 3-0.

I had such a good experience that I want to see more matches there in the future.  If I do, I’ll try to remember to take of photo of the game.  It’s a shame that the Denmark national football team didn’t qualify for the World Cup, but I’m glad that England made it through.

Robbie (Denmark)

About Robbie (Denmark)

Robbie has now graduated from the University of Leicester. Hi, I’m Robbie. I am a Management Studies and Economics student and I’m currently spending my third year abroad in Copenhagen, Denmark. I like travelling, meeting new people and learning about different cultures. Follow my blog to hear about my experience in the land of the Vikings.

View more posts by Robbie (Denmark)

Subscribe to Robbie (Denmark)'s posts