4 responses to “Mental Health and Studying Abroad”

1. Hannah (USA)

I want to commend you for making such a brave post. I understand how difficult a year abroad can be, and I cannot imagine going through all of this at the same time. I really hope that things start to improve for you soon!

2. Adam (Germany)

Mental health is a massive issue among university students, especially those who move abroad and find themselves in an often scary and unfamiliar environment, away from their loved ones and comfort zones – I seem to recall us being told before we moved away that many of us would experience a ‘slump’ in overall mood and that many experience severe depression and anxiety as a result of this. I hope that you find the help and support that you need, and remember that you friends and family back home are only a click away! When I feel anxious about my new surroundings I find it often helps to bite the bullet and simply force yourself to socialize as much as possible, as it takes your mind of things and will help you form bonds with your new companions more quickly. I find the lack of access to proper mental assistance at your host University to be deeply concerning, but I applaud you for posting about this important topic!