It is the beginning of a new semester and I have a new found outlook on Strasbourg. Last semester I felt that I was adjusting to a new place and getting to know the city and its people. Whereas this semester, I feel like I know Strasbourg and the people, and I am ready to be a part of the French culture. No more complaining about the lack of queues, instead I’m just going to enjoy the anarchy. No more feeling homesick because France is now my second home. This is a new semester and I have a new attitude.
After coming back from the Christmas holiday, I’ve realised that Strasbourg has really grown on me. I know the best places for a good brunch, I know what brands make the best wine, I even know my European size for clothes and no longer have to try everything on in the changing room to make sure it fits. I feel like I am part of Strasbourg.
And to showcase my new found mentality, I decided to make a list (I love lists), of the 5 top things I love about Strasbourg:
- Tarte Flambee – When I first moved to Strasbourg, I though tarte flambee (local Alsacean dish) was just a lesser version of a pizza. But it’s really not. It is amazing, and healthier than a pizza.
- The beautiful city – Strasbourg is absolutely stunning, there is not a place in the city that you can go to and not take a picture of the beautiful scenery.
- Baguette at La Gourmande – La Gourmande is my local bakery and their baguettes are on a different level. I literally have dreams about their baguettes.
- Politeness – In France, people from your building / street greet you every time they see you. It is so wonderful waking up on a Monday morning feeling grumpy and someone sees you and says ‘bonjour’. It completely changes your day and your mood.
- French language – the French language sounds better and better the more I understand and I am so in love with it. I love speaking it, hearing it, reading it and writing it. I love French and I love France.