My Summer Holiday so far!

So, one of the great things about studying abroad is the opportunities it creates for you.  I am able to visit places I had only dreamed of going to, and have already been able to cross so many things off my bucket list and I still have two more months until term starts again! I am EXTREMELY lucky!!

The first place I went on my summer adventures was New Zealand! New Zealand is a country that I have wanted to visit for such a long time, but I wasn’t sure if I’d ever get there due to how far away it is from home and how much the flights cost.  Thanks to studying abroad in Australia though, its only next door so much more viable as a holiday destination (and Santa may have paid for the tickets which helped a lot!).  It was as beautiful as I’d imagined it was going to be, and I took about a thousand photos – no joke, like there were so many gorgeous things to document, but I like to think I properly appreciated it all rather than just viewing it through my phone screen.  I was only there for a week, yet was able to travel to many places around the North Island.  There is so much going on there, from the urban landscape of Auckland, to the amazingly green hills, mountains, geothermal features and movie sets! Yes, I went to Hobbiton, and it was one of the coolest places I have ever visited, I properly nerded out and have decided that I want to live in a Hobbit hole.  One of the important things I discovered though was that it is really expensive to hire a car over here due to my age so just be aware that if you are in a similar situation to me, the places you can travel to is limited by public transport – luckily there are coaches/ shuttle buses to most of the main tourist attractions such as the Intercity buses that I used. Also shout out to my brother who was the one that planned and booked all our transport after I threw the names of loads of tourist destinations at him.

The second leg of my travels was spent back in Australia, as my parents flew out to Adelaide after I got back from New Zealand.  We spent a few days here while I gave them a tour of the local area and the uni, and then we went on a mini (I’m obviously using the Australian definition of “mini” here, meaning only 727 km) road trip from Adelaide to Melbourne via the Great Ocean Road!  It was really cool to see all the different geological landmarks even if it did rain for most of the journey.  Luckily it was sunny when we got to Melbourne meaning we had a few days to complain about the heat in a typical British fashion!!